What is the first thing that you check to see when you wake up each morning? Yip most people now days just stretch to grab their phone to see social media accounts and continue to scroll through their phone in between the daily chores and activities throughout the day. If you are guilty of this, what effect does it have on your eyes? A lot of people have an increase in dry eyes, eye pain and headaches caused by eye strain. And one of the leading causes of eye strain in present day, is because people are spending more and more time looking at their phones and if not their phone, then some other monitor baring device. Over usage of smart devices means increased exposure to blue light (emanating from the device) which can be dangerously damaging to the health of your eyes.
So, although we are aware that we might be spending more than enough time with our smart devices, and that our eyes do feel weak and strained at time, we choose to still lead the same “scroll every few minutes” kind of lifestyle.
How then can we take better care of our eyes when we choose to continue straining them?
Here are a few pointers to help relax tired and strained eyes:
When using a computer or smart device:
- Reduce contact with smart devices! Lol you should have saw that one coming. Being online, or on chat with dear ones, can be exciting, but imagine the time lost and impact on your eyes be being online every half hour? Reducing smart device usage is also great to get in touch with yourself and nature around you.
- So maybe chances of reducing phone and computer usage is not really an option? Or your job demands lengthy usage of the computer for long periods of time? What do you do then? Place your computer or laptop a few inches further than usual. And take a break from staring at the screen every 20 minutes.
- Download an install a blue light app on your phone. This will reduce the amount of blue light emitting from your screen.
- Periodically rejuvenate the cells around your eye by splashing fresh, semi cold water on your face. Gently tapping the area around your eyes. This helps awaken and refresh the cells around the eyes and helps to reduce strain.
- Wear an eye mask when travelling long distance to help with light sensitivity and harsh sunlight. Only do this if you are a passenger ofcourse!
- Reduce using heavy eye make up while travelling. Opt for lighter or if possible, no eye makeup. And then just freshen up and apply your eye make up before your destination at a rest room.
When relaxing at home
- Rest your eyes when relaxing. Some people feel that by resting the body (laying down etc) this is the BEST time to catch up on social media, google stuff, scroll through instagram and watch videos on YouTube. But if you are technically ‘resting’, then make an effort to rest your eyes as well! Cover your eyes with a cooling eye mask while resting.
- Switch your phone off or in airplane mode to prevent the temptation of checking your phone.
- Massage your eyes. Gently rub the area above, below and around the eyes in concentric circles, therefore massaging the area around the eyes. This will help to reduce eye strain, pain and discomfort.
Thanks for catching up on this weeks article. I hope you enjoyed the read. Do let me your thought in the comments below and do check out my Instagram feed below for daily inspiration.